Saturday, February 4, 2012

Have you ever taken a rice cake and smothered it with cream cheese?


..or take a diet shake and add ice cream? I have. Diet food and diets suck. So I am here wondering, how can I eat well and still lose weight? This is the question I have been pondering for months while seemingly sampling everything that is offered in the supermarkets freezer section. I’ve grown rather fond of Stop and Shop Potato Skins and totally need an appetizer intervention. At least I’m not smoking; I quit about 6 months ago and yay! I only gained 2 pounds. However, the joy, that feeling of accomplishment and that smug feeling that I am getting so much healthier is overshadowed by the fact I still have Fatty Liver Disease, I still have diabetes and I still have asthma. My back hurts, I have a numb leg and my feet hurt. As you can see from my cart there, I don't eat very well.

So, I have to lose weight and eat better.. My liver hurts. Don't get me wrong though. This isn't going to be one of those blogs that vilifies the overweight. (Or have those photos of fat people from the chest down that the news loves to use. I’m starting to think those people should be Screen Actors Guild members.) I firmly believe that a person can be considered "overweight" and be completely healthy. Being thin defiantly doesn't mean you are healthy. I’ve seen you skinny girl drinking the bathtub worth of jungle juice and then judging the fatties for being so, like, unhealthy. True story. That said I am sadly not one of those lucky people. Being overweight isn't good for me. I also have an unhealthy relationship with food. I want to have overall health but you and I know for a fact that’s easier said than done. Hopefully, this blog is about learning how to eat for the rest of my life, experiencing new foods and trying to figure out the answer to the ultimate question. Can you lose weight without suffering? Can you eat gorgeous, well prepared and rich food and still be healthy? 

I hope to find out and perhaps smash to bits the whole diet industry and how it isn’t out to make us healthy, it’s meant to keep us fat…and annoyed. Have you ever had a Slim Fast shake? The sheer name annoys me. Medifast, shudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment