Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fried Chicken on a Diet Blog? Of Course!

I know I am called The Dieting Gourmand giving the impression that there will be, like, food on this blog. I’ve spent most of this precious blog space bitching so I am going to throw you the super secret Fried Chicken recipe that has been passed down in my family for generations. (Lie.) My grandmother carried this recipe from Scotland under a spray of bullets to this country so she may continue sharing this pinnacle of chickenness. (Another lie.) This is a recipe that puts all chicken recipes to shame. (Big lie.)

Actually, I think my mother came up with this when the pantry was bare and was working with what she had. However, sometimes the best things come from desperation and this is one of them. Like they say (Whoever “they” are.), necessity is the mother of invention. Keep in mind though that this recipe is all relative. You can add or subtract where you like. I’ve used yogurt instead of buttermilk and sometimes simply milk. So have fun but if you add sardines and capers, I don’t want anything to do with you. We have nothing in common. Really.

What you need for chicken awesomeness –

-    Package of Fresh Chicken Legs, skinned. (Before you go all scrappy and call me a heathen for removing the skin, try it first!)
-    Carton of Low-Fat Buttermilk (This is a diet blog, duh.)
-    1 Egg
-    3 cups of All-Purpose Flour
-    1 cup of Parmesan Cheese (Canned is okay but fresh is all gourmet like.)
-    ¼ cup of Seasoning Salt (Yes, the orange stuff. Sue me.)
-    Salt and Pepper to taste
-    Vegetable oil in a pan, electric skillet or a deep fryer. I prefer the pan method because it adds more flavor and is easier to control but a deep fryer is just fun.

Things to do to make this chicken get into your face –

-    Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Skin chicken legs (Play out your Buffalo Bill fantasies here.) and place in bowl and cover with buttermilk mixture. Let marinate, refrigerated for an hour.
-    Mix together flour, Parmesan cheese, seasoning salt and salt and pepper in bowl. Sometimes when I am feeling sexy I will use Old Bay too. This is where you can have fun. Cheddar in the flour mixture and buffalo hot sauce in the buttermilk mixture? Hell yes.
-    When chicken has marinated for an hour and you have donned your gas mask to deal with the buttermilk funk (I think buttermilk smells like death.) it’s time to dredge. Simply take a leg out, dip in the flour mixture and put it aside. Keep the flour mixture handy though.
-    Preheat your deep fryer, electric skillet or frying pan to 375°degrees.
-    When you are ready to fry take each leg and re-toss it in the flour and put it in the oil. (You don't have to do this but I think it adds a nice crispness.) Fry until golden brown and delicious! 
-    Present it on a plate you stole from your co-worker and decorate with a single spinach leaf. (Okay, not necessary.)

To keep it diet friendly I have 2 legs with a huge, beautiful salad. That’s what it’s about. It’s fried but if you keep it balanced you can enjoy all foods in moderation. That’s what I’m hoping. This is wonderful hot or cold and great for barbeques and picnics. You can also use thighs, breasts, make nuggets and this is also great for fish too.

It might not be the bestest chicken recipe out there but it’s pretty damn good. I hope you enjoy! Now back to the regularly scheduled bitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment